OTEC is committed to supporting the overall health of the communities we serve. One of the ways we do this is by awarding twenty-eight $5,000 scholarships to deserving students throughout our service territory. Scholarships are available for first time college students, returning students and those students who would like to pursue a career in the electrical energy industry by enrolling in line school.
Scholarships are funded through unclaimed capital credits and their earnings. They do not affect electric rates.
Scholarship winners are selected by independent scholarship committees in each of OTEC's four service territories.
One-time scholarships in an amount to be determined on an annual basis by Oregon Trail Electric Cooperative’s (OTEC) Board of Directors will be awarded under the following guidelines:
- Available to active members and their dependents receiving electric service from OTEC.
- Scholarships will be granted to attend full-time (12 hour minimum) an accredited vocational school, technical school, college or university.
- Applicant should have achieved a 3.0 or higher GPA.
- Applicant must be of good character as evidenced by two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from a teacher, principal or counselor at the education institution they currently attend (or attended in the past) and the other from a community member.
- Applicant must have successfully held at least a part-time job, internship, or volunteer position during the past year. A letter of recommendation from the employer/supervisor/organization must be included in addition to the two letters required in #4 above.
- Applicant must demonstrate a coherent degree plan and willingness to pursue a course of higher learning.
- Economic need, history of community involvement, and potential for success of the applicant will be considered.
- Application, Transcripts and Recommendations must be attached as separate documents.
- Each attachment should be in the following format: NAME-COUNTY-TYPE OF DOCUMENT-2016. For example: Lara Petitclerc-Baker-Recommendations-2016.
- Awards will normally be announced on OTEC’s website on May 1.
Scholarships of $5,000 will be paid in full upon verification of enrollment with funds made out directly to the educational institution. In the case the student does not attend the specified educational institution by second quarter/second semester, the scholarship award will be forfeited and returned to OTEC.
This is a one-time scholarship. Individuals who wish to receive additional funding must re-apply each year. Scholarships will be awarded on the criteria stated above.
Send applications and questions to:
Manager of Communications and Government Affairs