Gates Millennium Scholars Program (GMS)
The Gates Millennium Scholars (GMS) Program is open for application. This renewable, need-based, merit scholarship provides financial support throughout a Gates Scholar's undergraduate career. For those who choose to study in one of the seven graduate disciplines: computer science, education, engineering, library science, mathematics, public health or science, the scholarship can continue through the pursuit of a doctoral degree. In addition, students are provided support beyond the scholarship dollars to assure they have the mentorship, peer connections and other resources to enhance development of their leadership skills and to assure them every opportunity to attain their degree.
There are three components of the GMS scholarship application process:
- Student Application (Nominee Personal Information Form)
- An educator's evaluation of the student's academic record (Nominator Form)
- An evaluation of the student's community service and leadership activities (Recommender Form)
Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they:
- Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native, Asian Pacific Islander American or Hispanic American
- Are a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States
- Have attained a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 on an unweighted 4.0 scale or have earned a GED
- Will enroll for the first time at a U.S. located, accredited college or university in the fall of 2017 as a full-time, degree-seeking, first-year student (with the exception of students pursuing a high school diploma while concurrently enrolled). First-time college enrollees can also be GED recipients.
- Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular or other activities.
- Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria
- have completed and submitted all three required forms: the student application (Nominee Personal Information Form), an evaluation of the student's academic record (Nominator Form) and an evaluation of the student's community service and leadership activities (Recommended Form) by the January 15, 2017 deadline.
It is strongly advised that prospective Gates Scholars have all parts of their application completed online. Please go to the GMS website at http://www.gmsp.org where you can complete the online forms.